Sunday, June 21, 2015

Tough Loving Pops

Thinking about you today
On Father’s Day, trying to find
The perfect words to say
While I think and ponder 
How my life has been
Through thick and thin
You’ve always been there for me.
We have not always agreed
In fact, often butted heads.
I never understood until
Just now, it dawned on me
A straight up epiphany.

All those years, I called growing pains
Discussions, arguments, tantrums
Trying to get my way
You stood your ground
As I did, to your dismay.
“If you don’t stand for something
You’ll fall for anything”
Those words you taught me,
Always stayed with in my head.
Through your tough love,
A perceived lack of nurturing
I learned just that.
To stand up, fight for my beliefs
Even if they went against Dad’s.

You didn’t edit your content
Sugar coat your words
You didn’t give in to,
Your sweet little girl.
You didn’t hug constantly
Dry away my tears,
That is what mom is for.
She has always been my pillar
Gotten credit for who I am
Yet I realize, more than ever
One tough old man
Shaped my character.

It only took 37 years 
To realize the tough love 
Of one constant man
Made me stronger, than any man.
So much so, I’ve proven
I don’t need one to stand.
For that, I am eternally indebted.
Through your tough love,
I grew into the woman
I was born to be.
As I am proud to call you father,
Hope you are equally proud of me.
For all I am, I owe to you.
Much like Cash’s
Boy Named Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment